Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The UnDiet...begins January 1st!

It's that time of year again....sitting on our couches feeling lethargic with the top button undone on our pants, that we swear off all excess. Starting January 1st, we say "No more!" and spend the rest of our vacations searching book stores and the internet putting together our own personal torture plan for the New Year. 


We vow that overnight we will abandon our bacon and chocolate chip ways in favour of broiled chicken and broccoli or raw food smoothies. Magically, we will overcome our sloth and get to the gym daily. And for the first couple of weeks, our previous excess motivates us through the pain and the deprivation but one day, long after the last taste of creme brulee is forgotten, we wake up and decide....just one brunch of waffles won't hurt. And it won't matter if I miss my yoga class to go....starting to sound achingly familiar? Still really want to do this again?


Why not swear off diets for good? Vow to get healthy for life...and join me for an UnDiet. Each week, starting January 1st, I will offer one simple lifestyle change. Try it faithfully for the week and if you like it, keep doing it. If not, just move on to the next change. 52 weeks...52 changes. The idea is that eventually all the new healthy  habits you acquire will crowd out the less healthy ones. And by building change gradually, it will be easy. Even if you take on half of the suggested changes permanently you will be well on your way to a healthier, slimmer you by New Year's Eve 2011. 


See you on New Year's Day 2011...enjoy the rest of your holiday season!
Desiree

5 comments:

Vincci said...

Sounds like an interesting project - I'm excited for this!

Marianne (frenchfriestoflaxseeds) said...

Just as long as I don't have to give up on the bacon ;) Mmmm, bacon.

Unknown said...

I promise...no giving up bacon! I may ask you to saute it with a little kale...but no giving up bacon. Geez, people love bacon.

Laken said...

These were all of my thoughts exactly as I picked up the computer to make resolutions today.
What a great plan!

Anonymous said...

I like this idea. :) I definitely need to kick start my health without making it about deprivation.
PS I've been browsing your blog for awhile, I'm in the UBC dietetics program with Marianne!